(NEWPORT NEWS, VA- May 14, 2019) – The Summer Training and Enrichment Program joins Newport News Public Schools with the government, business and non-profit community to employ Newport News youth ages 16-18 and help them gain working experience and professional skills.
Newport News students, here’s your opportunity to be introduced to the world of work and sharpen your skills. Not only are you earning money but additional benefits include:
- Learn more about a field or industry
- Decide if a career path is the right one for you
- Gain valuable networking contacts
- Gain references for future job opportunities
- Meet peers with similar interests
- Learn money and time management
- Build confidence
- Make you competitive for entry level position
STEP program participants should meet at least one of the following program guidelines:
- Currently enrolled in an NNPS high school as of June 1, 2019
- Ages 16-18
- Eligible to receive a free or reduced price lunch under the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act (42 U.S.C. 1751 et seq.)
- At risk of dropping out of school (based on poor attendance/truancy or deficient academic record
- An English Language Learner
- Single parent household
- Students that are parents
- Current or past alternative school placement
- Referrals from NN Department of Juvenile Justice and Department of Human Services for students with a criminal record
Want an exciting opportunity to gain work experience, increase your skill set, and determine if a profession is right for you? You’ll have the opportunity to see how businesses work from the bottom up and you may even see areas that you can improve upon. Don’t wait! Apply by close of business on May 17, 2019.
Do you have questions or need more information? Contact Anthony Tyler, Extended Learning Administrator, or call (757) 283-7791.