A message from Dominion Power:
We are fine-tuning our preparations for this winter storm and continue communications with our neighboring utilities to bring out-of-state resources into our area to assist with restoration. We encourage customers across our service area to prepare NOW for the possibility of power outages that could last for multiple days, beginning as early as Friday as the severe weather arrives. There are a number of things that customers can do to prepare for this storm and the potential for a power outage:
- Put together an emergency kit with necessities such as flashlights, water, medicines, portable radios, extra batteries and non-perishable goods. For more information on how to assemble a kit, visit https://www.dom.com/residential/dominion-virginia-power/outage-center/outage-safety-and-preparation. Do it today.
- Establish an online “Manage Account” with Dominion at http://www.dom.com and update it with your telephone number, including your cell phone number. This will ensure the accurate and timely reporting of your power outage.
- Sign up to receive text messages from Dominion. Text DOM to 898366 from any mobile device.
- Follow Dominion on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DomVAPower, and Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/dominionvirginiapower. Both are good sources of information and updates throughout the storm event.
- Communicate with family and friends in advance about emergency plans in the event of extended outages.
- Make sure all prescription medications are filled.
- Have a full tank of gas in your car.
- If you have pets, please make sure you have provided for them as well.
- If you have a generator, be sure it is fueled, tested, and properly connected before the severe weather arrives.