By: City of Chesapeake
The Gilmerton Bridge on South Military Highway will be closed to vehicle traffic for six consecutive weekends beginning the weekend of January 27 to allow for important bridge improvements. The improvements are part of a capital project which aims to minimize the amount of future maintenance required for the counterweight system. A marked detour utilizing I-64 will be in place during the closures. Please follow the posted detour signage. The schedule of the closures is as follows:
- Friday, January 27, 9:00 p.m. – Monday, January 30, 5:00 a.m.
- Friday, February 3, 9:00 p.m. – Monday, February 6, 5:00 a.m.
- Friday, February 10, 9:00 p.m. – Monday, February 13, 5:00 a.m.
- Friday, February 17, 9:00 p.m. – Monday, February 20, 5:00 a.m.
- Friday, February 24, 9:00 p.m. – Monday, February 27, 5:00 a.m.
- Friday, March 3, 9:00 p.m. – Monday, March 6, 5:00 a.m.
Additionally, there will be extended openings of the bridge Wednesday, January 25 – Friday, January 27 from 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., to allow consistent flow of maritime traffic. These openings may last upwards of 20 minutes.
NOTE: This scheduled work is weather-permitting, and inclement weather may result in changes or schedule delays. Any changes to scheduled closures will be communicated via the City’s website and social media accounts.