Hurricane Season is Here!

Prepare for storms before they strike
Hurricane Season officially begins today. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center anticipates another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season this year. The outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. However, experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020. The hurricane season officially extends from June 1 to November 30. Please make sure you and your family are prepared for hurricanes and severe weather. To prepare for a storm, you should: Know Your ZonePack a KitMake a PlanSign up for NN Alert The Newport News Division of Emergency Management staff hosted a Facebook Live session last month to share important preparedness tips. They were joined by Dan Brown with the National Hurricane Center and Jeff Orrick with the National Weather Service in Wakefield. View the full video on the NNTV YouTube page.