The City of Portsmouth is proud to announce that Pamela Little-Hill, Director of the Department of Social Services (DSS) has been awarded the COVID Heroes Award of the Coastal Virginia Chamber of Commerce. The COVID Heroes Awards were presented during the Chamber’s Salute to Our COVID Heroes reception at the Zeiders American Dream Theater in Virginia Beach on September 9th. The purpose of the award presentation was to honor those who gave tirelessly to help Coastal Virginia communities during the pandemic and the recipients were selected by area mayors.
Pamela Little-Hill has served as Portsmouth’s Director of the Department of Social Services since February 2016. Before coming to Portsmouth, she worked for the Hampton/Newport News Community Services Board as the REACH Director. She received a Master’s of Social Work degree from City University of New York at Hunter College, and a Bachelor’s degree from City University of New York at Queens College. The Department of Social Services has oversight for numerous programs ranging from adult protective services to temporary assistance for needy families. Little-Hill is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the department which include child welfare systems, financial assistance programs, children’s services, and employment services. Throughout 2020, Little-Hill and her team continued to provide vital services to Portsmouth residents.
Congratulations to Portsmouth’s Pamela Little-Hill and all of the COVID Heroes Award recipients who are listed below.
2021 CVCC “Salute to Our COVID Heroes” Award Recipients
· President Tammy Holloway: Cape Charles Main St. Board, Cape Charles, nominated by Mayor Smitty Diez
· Cartier Cary: Volunteer, Hampton, nominated by Mayor Donnie Tuck
· Ed Brazle: EMS Chief, Virginia Beach, nominated by Mayor Bobby Dyer
· Dr. Nancy Welch: Health Director, Chesapeake, nominated by Mayor Rick West
· Interdenominational Ministers Conference: Executive Director, Dr. Veronica Coleman, Virginia Beach, nominated by Gary Byler & Ron Villanueva
· Dr. Jeffery Forman: Bayview Physicians Group, Suffolk, nominated by Mayor Mike Duman
· Foodbank of Southeastern VA: Norfolk, nominated by the CVCC Board
· Pamela T. Little-Hill: Director-Department of Social Services, Portsmouth, nominated by Mayor Shannon E. Glover
· Queen Pope and Regina McClenney, “Vaccine Queens,” Hampton, nominated by Mayor Donnie Tuck
· Tidewater Council Scouts of America: Scout Executive James Parnell, Hampton Roads, nominated by JP “Gus” Godsey
· Sheila Plummer: Service Coordinator, Capital Reality Group, Newport News, nominated by Drew McKean
MEDIA CONTACT: JP “Gus” Godsey, Director
Coastal Virginia Chamber of Commerce
— In the attached photo at the awards ceremony, from left to right: Portsmouth DSS Senior Supervisor Wanda Hatchett; Portsmouth DSS Senior Supervisor Doressa Warren; Director of Portsmouth DSS and COVID Heroes Award recipient Pamela Little-Hill; and Director of Portsmouth’s Department of Behavioral Healthcare Services Nathan Woodard